Dear Howard University Community,
As we prepare for Summer 2022 courses, we continue to closely monitor the COVID-19 status (confirmed hospitalizations, positive test rates, variants of the virus) in the Washington, D.C. area and on campus. While we have seen a steady decline in campus positivity rates, the broad institution of self-testing at home has also impacted the overall utilization of this statistic when assessed alone. In keeping with the shift of the CDC away from using only positivity rates, we also are actively tracking severe illness and hospitalizations.
Since the end of the Spring 2022 semester, we have not observed any significant hospitalizations or severe COVID-19 cases among faculty, staff or students. Based on our current knowledge of the virus and its variants, we will be implementing the following policy:
- Masking indoors will continue to be required for all persons on campus.
- Up-to-date vaccinations will be required for all students and staff. This includes full vaccination and at least one booster if indicated.
- Testing either with a validated PCR or rapid antigen test will continue for anyone who is exhibiting symptoms.
- We will continue quarantining for residents of on-campus housing who test positive.
- We will implement surveillance PCR testing on campus for a rotating selected group of faculty, students and staff on a monthly basis.